BATES, MICHAEL D.
BROOKSVILLE - Forty years ago, it was not unusual for kids to plop down a nickel or dime for candy cigarettes.
BROOKSVILLE - It was Rachel Watler's first time canning and she was a bit nervous.
BROOKSVILLE - A judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by an airport tenant against former Brooksville-Tampa Bay Regional Airport Manager Don Silvernell.
- BROOKSVILLE - A new state directive restricting absentee ballot returns will not affect Hernando County.
BROOKSVILLE - The fire chief of the Hernando Beach Volunteer Fire Department spent more money on fuel the last fiscal year than the chief and deputy chief of Hernando County combined.
With only one day left in hurricane season, it appears Hernando County has come through unscathed.
- Those who sit down to their turkey dinner Thursday may want to finish up quickly to reach the stores in time to usher in the official start of the Christmas retail season.
- Hernando's unemployment rate for October was 7.8 percent, down from 8.2 percent in September and lower than the 9.8 percent rate of October 2012.
BROOKSVILLE - The widening of State Road 50 to six lanes from U.S. 19 to the Suncoast Parkway won't be completed for at least 18 months.
BROOKSVILLE - The fire-damaged East Hernando Branch Library in Ridge Manor was set to open around Jan. 1 after being closed the last four months.
BROOKSVILLE - Last year, some 120 people, including Florida Governor Rick Scott, jammed the lobby of the Hernando County Office of Business Development to hear an announcement that Accuform Signs was expanding and hiring...
- BROOKSVILLE - Another batch of roads in Royal Highlands will get paved.
- SPRING HILL - John Perry said he doesn't understand what county commissioners were thinking when they approved a $280,000 contract to install sidewalks on Waterfall Drive.
- BROOKSVILLE - When county commissioners earlier this year relaxed the rules for residents to get their limerock roads paved, it opened the floodgates for a record number of requests.
- BROOKSVILLE - About 35 members of Crosspoint Church urged Hernando leaders this week to approve a special use exception permit to build a permanent facility near the airport.
- BROOKSVILLE - County Administrator Len Sossamon has whittled down a list of nine applicants for the vacant economic development manager position to two men: Thomas Carrino Jr. of Illinois and David Lyons Sr. of Georgia.
- BROOKSVILLE - County Commissioner Diane Rowden remembers visiting Weeki Wachee Springs years ago when the water was pristine and mermaids performed their underwater dance maneuvers in a mostly algae-free setting.
- BROOKSVILLE - County commissioners Tuesday roundly praised the efforts of a volunteer group for working to save the Little Rock Cannery, north of Brooksville.
- BROOKSVILLE - Crosspoint Church, which currently holds Sunday morning services at Challenger K-8 School of Science and Mathematics, is looking for a permanent home for its 1,000-member congregation.
- BROOKSVILLE - The restoration of the Chinsegut Hill Manor House is under way and organizers want to show off their progress to the public at a fundraiser planned for Friday and Saturday.
- BROOKSVILLE - Motorists heading east into Brooksville on State Road 50 have been dealing with periodic lane closures and rough spots in the pavement for months.
- BROOKSVILLE - Construction on the new Sears Hometown Store and Popeyes restaurant in Brooksville are scheduled to be completed in time for the Christmas holiday rush.
- BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County commissioners last month received word that the already swamped administrative staff was in desperate need of assistance to ensure business agendas get out in time.
- BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County is in line to receive money from the British Petroleum oil spill in April 2010.
- BROOKSVILLE - After six months on the job, Assistant County Attorney Shawn Amarnani has resigned and will take a similar job with the City of Tampa.
- BROOKSVILLE - Every day when someone opens the doors at the Brooksville Elks Lodge, it costs $200 in overhead.
- BROOKSVILLE - For many people, waits of up to 20 minutes at the county's mass transit stops are common.
- BROOKSVILLE - It started last week when County Commissioner Jim Adkins wanted to know why the software program the county uses to assemble meeting agendas was not reviewed by appropriate staff members in a timely manner.
- BROOKSVILLE - For more than 30 years, Bob Haa was the voice of Hernando County radio.
- BROOKSVILLE - Now that Hernando County transportation officials have agreed to form a merger with their Citrus County counterparts, it is time to discuss the nuts and bolts of the partnership.
- BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County will re-advertise a job opening for utilities operations manager and distribute the notice to more outside sources.
- SPRING HILL - Robert Anzalone, 21, said he did a three-year stint as a disc jockey in the Tampa Bay area and was exposed to the best of humanity as well as the seamier side of life.
- BROOKSVILLE - Russ Wetherington said he noticed something surprising on the design plans for the new utility administration facility on Wiscon Road.
- BROOKSVILLE - It now takes as long as 17-18 minutes for an ambulance or fire engine to reach people who live in the area of Spring Lake Highway and Hayman Road.
- BROOKSVILLE - A new contract for about 400 government employees has been approved by the county and ratified by union members.
- BROOKSVILLE - A divided county commission on Tuesday voted to deny a request from its legal office to pay Aviation Authority Chairman Gary Schraut's legal fees in his slander suit.
- BROOKSVILLE - In 1978, Freddie Lee Hall and another man were convicted of killing a 21-year-old pregnant Sumter County woman after kidnapping her from a grocery store.
- BROOKSVILLE - Motorists have probably noticed strips of cement going up in the medians along certain stretches of the Suncoast Parkway.
- BROOKSVILLE - A resident's letter alleging collusion between four county commissioners and Aviation Authority Chairman Gary Schraut has reached the desk of the county's highest executive, Administrator Len Sossamon.
- BROOKSVILLE - Democrat David Welch said he will take to the steps of the Brooksville courthouse on Monday to announce his run for the Florida House of Representatives, District 35.
- BROOKSVILLE - County Administrator Len Sossamon has nine applicants to consider for the vacant post of economic development manager.
- BROOKSVILLE - There were 240 single-family homes sold in Hernando County in September, 49 fewer than the month before.
- BROOKSVILLE - Planning and zoning commissioners Monday approved a conditional plat for the proposed Cortez Commons shopping center, paving the way for the development of the massive commercial project.
- BROOKSVILLE - It may be the dry season, but for a dozen or so homeowners along Culbreath Road, the water from previous storms is still making life miserable.
- BROOKSVILLE - The next step in the development of Cortez Commons, at the southwest corner of State Road 50 and Mariner Boulevard, will take place Tuesday when planning commissioners will consider a conditional plat approval...
- BROOKSVILLE - Republican Laurie Pizzo raised $23,000 in monetary contributions to date, far outpacing her two opponents for the District 4 county commission race.
- BROOKSVILLE - The majority of elected Hernando County constitutional officers will receive $4,500 salary hikes this year.
- BROOKSVILLE - Thirty people have applied for the vacant Hernando County economic development director position.
- BROOKSVILLE - The Teamsters Local Union 79 and the county have tentatively reached an agreement on a 3 percent across-the-board raise for about 400 employees.