BROOKSVILLE - An Explorer K-8 custodian will not face charges after a student said he grabbed a kindergarten student by the shirt collar and pulled him across the cafeteria to a trash can.
BROOKSVILLE - A total of 16 Hernando County students were selected among a combined 2,700 middle and high school students in the state as Florida All-State choir members.
BROOKSVILLE - A Hernando County School Board proposal to restore student transportation within 2-miles of schools won't cost the district a dime.
- Mark Lombardi-Nelson's enthusiasm and goal-oriented way of thinking have brought him to circles not typically inclusive of 21-year-olds.
BROOKSVILLE - Brooksville Garden Club members and Hernando County Master Gardeners volunteered time Thursday morning to teach Moton Elementary School students how to care for plants at the school's garden.
BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County school teachers are making gains in the classroom, evaluations released this week indicate.
BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando County School District is working to finalize negotiations with teachers for pay raises before the winter break.
- BROOKSVILLE - Among the hundreds of homeless or impoverished children in Hernando County, one girl said her No. 1 wish would be to receive a Taylor Swift CD this year for Christmas. A boy, age 8, said he would l...
- Clad in sweaters and armed with coffee cups, wish lists and some extra money to spend, Hernando County shoppers hit the stores late Thursday and early Friday morning to take advantage of Black Friday deals.
BROOKSVILLE - District 3 school board member Dianne Bonfield has filed for re-election.
BROOKSVILLE - A state audit of Florida's Firearm Purchase Program shows the Hernando County Clerk has complied with requirements to send information about the mentally ill to a database in a timely manner but at least 10...
SPRING HILL - Mike Gonsalves stayed two days longer than he had to in Vietnam.
- For the first time in 10 weeks since the Aripeka Post Office closed due to increased leasing costs, the parking spots outside the small building were nearly full.
BROOKSVILLE - Powell Middle School students were evacuated Tuesday morning after the school received a bomb threat call.
BROOKSVILLE - Hernando teachers are currently negotiating with the school board to receive their portion of $480 million in raises allocated by Gov. Rick Scott during the 2013 legislative session.
SPRING HILL - Challenger K8 kindergarteners in Margie Yurtinus's class spent much of Thursday learning about Thanksgiving while helping parent and community volunteers fix a Thanksgiving meal.
BROOKSVILLE - Several school board members switched seats permanently last week.
ORLANDO - Pasco-Hernando Community College was one of four colleges in the state to receive the Best Practice Award for innovation and excellence last week.
FORT LEE, Va. - Private First Class George Smith, of Brooksville, competed against 23 soldiers from around the world to be named the U.S. Army's top soldier.
- BROOKSVILLE - Nine second-grade students at Pine Grove Elementary had similar adjectives to describe Teresa Wimmer's class - uncomfortable.
- BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando County school board is acting quickly to develop an action plan to present during this year's legislative session that would undue inequities in the state's education funding formula.
- Tiffany Mitchell, faced 15 years in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, who overdosed on an oxycodone pill she found in her mother's room.
- WEEKI WACHEE - Seems like only six or seven years ago James Harris saw things more clearly.
- LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A Hernando High School graduate was named a winner at the 86th annual National Future Farmers of America Convention this month.
- BROOKSVILLE - Florida Gas Transmission told the fire and sheriff's departments to expect a lot of noise and 911 calls Friday morning.
- SPRING HILL - Bully Police USA of Florida and Stand Up to Bullying is holding a 3K walk for bullying awareness Saturday at Anderson Snow Park.
- BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando County School Board is recommending that the county reinstate education impact fees, which could raise the cost of a new home by several thousand dollars.
- BROOKSVILLE - A three-car accident occurred around 4 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of Oak Hill Hospital and State Road 50.
- BROOKSVILLE - A child not more than 5 years old broke away from his father and darted into traffic at the four-way intersection of Tillery Road and Barclay.
- BROOKSVILLE - Concerned parents, grandparents and teachers called on the Hernando school board this week to reverse a decision to cancel bus service for students who live within 2 miles of a school.
- BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando school district's transportation department is working to provide alternative transportation for students who had their bus routes eliminated because they live too close to school.
- CRYSTAL RIVER - A former NFL player and substitute teacher and coach at Weeki Wachee High School charged with running from law enforcement, a third-degree felony, was given two years supervised probation, according to the C...
- SPRING HILL - An Explorer K8 teacher was suspended after trying to force one of her students to say the Pledge of Allegiance, according to an investigation.
- BROOKSVILLE - Hernando County School District nurses might have to write health care plans in addition to their regular duties with no extra pay.
- SPRING HILL - Spring Hill Elementary School is asking all veterans to save their appetites for the Annual Veteran's Day Program breakfast buffet on Friday.
- BROOKSVILLE - District 1 school board member John K. Sweeney filed for re-election Wednesday.
- BROOKSVILLE - A convicted felon worked as a registered nurse at Springbrook Hospital for more than one year before authorities discovered his background and hospital officials fired him in September.
- ARIPEKA - Nearly two months after losing their post office, Aripekans never expected on Halloween that the United States Postal Service would deliver a treat by reopening the facility.
- BROOKSVILLE - Two cases of Staph, a bacterial skin infection, were recently confirmed at Hernando High School.
- BROOKSVILLE - A candlelight vigil will be held 7 p.m. Friday at Chocachatti Elementary School in honor of two students who died over the weekend in an apparent murder-suicide.
- BROOKSVILLE - A challenger has entered the previously uncontested race for the District 1 school board seat.
- BROOKSVILLE - Hundreds of parents on Monday were confronted with a sudden decision: whether and how to explain to their children why two of their classmates, shot by their father before he turned the gun on himself, would n...
- SPRING HILL - Helping yourself to another serving of freshly made seasonal foods is easy, especially when it's helping others in need.
- BROOKSVILLE - District 1 school board member John Sweeney intends to file for re-election.
- SPRING HILL - Hundreds packed The Palace Grand in Spring Hill on Friday night for the 2013 Reagan Day Dinner.
- ARIPEKA - For the last month and a half since the Aripeka post office closed, residents in the village have had to make a 15-mile round trip to Hudson to pick up their mail.
- BROOKSVILLE - A West Hernando Middle School teacher of 29 years has been nominated for the national LifeChanger of the Year award and is eligible to receive up to $10,000 for the school if selected among the 10 national win...
- SPRING HILL - The largest VFW post in the state, VFW 10209 in Spring Hill, announced earlier this month that its financial house was in disarray and that it might have to sell the building on Edward R. Knoll Drive.
- WEEKI WACHEE - Hernando County will host its 12th annual 2013 residents reception Thursday at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, welcoming new and native residents alike with a plethora of information and local contacts first...
- SPRING HILL - If you see your child's teacher handing you an order of chicken nuggets through the drive-through window of McDonald's this afternoon, don't be alarmed.