BERNHARDT JR., CHRIS
The first of three county football head coaching vacancy has been filled - and it's a blockbuster.
- Editor's note: This is the sixth story in a series highlighting Hernando High's 2013 Sports Hall of Fame inductees.
SEFFNER - Mike Garofano addressed his team in one last postgame huddle, his rookie season as Springstead head coach having come to a close.
Black Friday is a day for shopping, leftovers, maybe even putting up decorations and starting the countdown to Christmas.
- SPRING HILL - This time, Daniel Wright left Booster Stadium on his own two feet.
- A year ago, Mark Latsko and Mike Garofano were two top defensive coordinators, rising stars in the coaching ranks of Hernando County.
- BROOKSVILLE - Ever since he was a little kid, Chris Lake has felt a connection with Flagler College.
- Nature Coast set out upon the 2012-13 season to prove it could survive without its graduated standout center Tyler Bergantino.
- SPRING HILL - He scored with his feet. He scored with his arm. He punted. He even made a cameo on defense.
- Yet another head coaching vacancy has cropped up in the county football ranks.
- Exactly 11 weeks and nine games apiece have transpired since Springstead and Citrus took the field to open the season.
- BROOKSVILLE - On the first day of the early signing period, Hernando High senior Tana McDaniel inked a National Letter of Intent with Morehead State University.
- For the second week in a row, a Hernando County football head coaching job has opened up.
- Morgan Kiloh made sure Hernando County's first appearance at states in five years lasted a few extra hours.
- BROOKSVILLE - If the emotions of the night weren't evident in Rohan Blackwood's play, they were certainly on display in the final moments of his prep career.
- As a whole, the 2012-13 girls basketball season in Hernando County wasn't one for the record books - at least not in a positive way.
- Hernando at Springstead, 7:30 p.m.
- Central High officially went on the hunt for a head football coach on Wednesday, posting the newly opened position on the FHSAA's website.
- The frustrating storyline that hovered above Hernando County swimming has finally been put to rest.
- Vicki Weaver, a former volleyball and girls golf head coach at Central High, passed away on Sunday after battling breast cancer. She was 55.
- After four seasons of failing to advance a swimmer to states, Hernando County will be represented at Saturday's Class 2A FHSAA Finals.
- WEEKI WACHEE - The first varsity meeting between Nature Coast and Weeki Wachee started off heavily in the home team's favor.
- The chance for Hernando County swimmers to erase the past four seasons of no one advancing to states has arrived.
- Springstead at Land O' Lakes, 7:30 p.m.
- BROOKSVILLE - Based on the final two games of Tuesday's Class 5A, Region II quarterfinal, host Hernando gave Anclote all it could handle.
- Last year Hernando County sat out regionals for the first time since 1998.
- ZEPHYRHILLS - A fired-up home crowd at Bulldog Stadium excitedly looked ahead to next week's "9-Mile War" against Pasco, now essentially a postseason play-in game.
- Hernando at Zephyrhills, 7:30 p.m.
- On Saturday The Long Center in Clearwater will have a significant Hernando County presence.
- WEEKI WACHEE - It took Hernando three ties to defeat Weeki Wachee this season.
- Hernando and Weeki Wachee have already played three times this season. Barring a significant upset a fourth meeting figures to take place on Thursday.
- BROOKSVILLE - Nature Coast couldn't prevent South Sumter from continuing its present district dominance, but at least received a glimpse of a bright future.
- BROOKSVILLE - On a night when Central's last 1,000-yard rusher returned for homecoming, fittingly senior Robbie Bradley surpassed that vaunted mark.
- Pasco at Hernando, 7:30 p.m.