BROOKSVILLE - Everything worth saving from 308 Zoller Ave. was packed into the back of a pickup truck Friday afternoon.
It was mostly children's toys, said LaToya Munford, and items discarded in the yard of the Brooksville home she has rented with her sister, Veronica Munford, for the past four months.
Brooksville Fire Rescue responded to the home off West Fort Dade Avenue three minutes after receiving a call at 7:41 p.m., with flames already shooting through the home's roof. Brooksville Fire Chief Timothy Mossgrove said the fire was "brought under control in 15 minutes," but the home appeared to be a "total loss."
Fire Capt. Samuel Schey was treated for elevated carbon monoxide levels at Brooksville Regional following the blaze and released late Thursday night.
All four residents - including two boys, aged 7 and 2 - were unharmed, but the family lost their dog, LaToya Munford said.
Veronica Munford said she suspected the fire started after the dog knocked over a candle, or something on to the candle. She said she had been watching television with her son, but had gone outside to sit on the porch with her son when the fire started.
Veronica Munford remembers turning a fan on to dry her nail polish. On Friday afternoon, the orange polish was wrinkled, her palms covered with soot from looking through the wreckage.
The sisters said they were grateful for the help they've received so far, such as a hotel room from the Red Cross through Sunday, adding that any children's clothing donations would be appreciated.
"This is a new beginning," Veronica Munford said. "We need all the strength and help we can get."
"It can happen in the blink of an eye," she added.
Veronica Munford can be reached by phone at (352) 277-2627.