Breaking Hernando county news, local sports and events, and weather from Hernando Today | | Hernando Today
Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015

Teenager who fell from SUV remains hospitalized

Tony Holt Hernando Today
Published:   |   Updated: May 7, 2013 at 05:54 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page


The 14-year-old boy who fell off an SUV last week is in a coma at All-Children's Hospital, the teen's father has confirmed.

Nicholas "Nico" Bowermaster was initially airlifted to Bayfront Medical Center following an accident the afternoon of Aug. 28 along Eileen Avenue in Spring Hill.

The Florida Highway Patrol reported the following day Bowermaster had been "released" from Bayfront after receiving word from the boy's mother.

Instead, he was transferred to All Children's as a result of head trauma from the fall, said his father, Nicholas "Nick" Bowermaster Sr.

An FHP report showed the teen's mother, Yessenia D. Bowermaster, 32, left a relative's house off Elston Street in her 2005 Ford Expedition and was heading west along Elston Street. As she approached the Eileen intersection, she noticed her son was clinging to the vehicle, troopers said.

A passenger saw Nico Bowermaster jump off and fall onto the roadway, according to the report.

Due to his injuries, he was airlifted to Bayfront and was transferred to the pediatric trauma center at All Children's, according to FHP.

No charges are expected to be filed against the boy or his mother.

"She didn't have any knowledge that her son was hanging on the vehicle," said Sgt. Steve Gaskins, an FHP spokesman.

"Obviously, he did something that was unsafe and unwise that resulted in serious injuries," he continued. "It was an unfortunate set of circumstances."

The trooper who investigated the accident confirmed in her report that the mother didn't know until moments before the fall that her son was hanging on the SUV. Her vision was obstructed by the luggage that was in the cargo area, she wrote.

The mother was returning to New York that day, according to the FHP.

Nick Bowermaster spoke to a reporter over the phone Tuesday afternoon and again Thursday morning, but didn't return messages left on his cellphone afterward.

He said Tuesday his son was awaiting an MRI and was breathing through a respirator. On Thursday he said his son was improving. (352) 544-5283

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Trending Now