Breaking Hernando county news, local sports and events, and weather from Hernando Today | | Hernando Today
Saturday, Mar 28, 2015

Search plans to fill job begin

Jeff Schmucker Hernando Today
Published:   |   Updated: May 7, 2013 at 06:18 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page


If all scheduling goes as planned, interviews for a new superintendent will begin in March 2013 and the top candidate will be selected by the following month.

That's only if there are no hiccups in the process of advertising and selecting top applicants for the interview process.

During the 2 p.m. Tuesday school board meeting, school board members will review the timeline, job description and possible advertising venues for the superintendent position.

District staff noted that Superintendent Bryan Blavatt's contract ends June 30. The recommended start date for his replacement is one day after July 1, although school board chairwoman Cynthia Moore has said she wouldn't mind having the person start earlier while Blavatt is still in office.

According to the draft calendar, a search committee that includes parents or other district residents would also be formed next month to review applications submitted Nov. 1-30.

The search committee would then review the applicants and give their top recommendations to the school board in February with board members interviewing those candidates in mid-March and making a selection by March 19 to begin contract negotiations.

However, district staff and school board members have noted in the past that hiring schedules are apt to change.

Blavatt announced in December that this school year would be his last.

He has said he is not part of the search process, but would be willing to stick around longer than his current contract calls for should the search take longer than expected.

* * * * *

In other business, board members are expected to review changes to the magnet school procedures for 2013-14. Orientation meetings are slated throughout November for Chocachatti Elementary, Challenger K-8 and Nature Coast Technical High schools.

As approved last year, 70 percent of students enrolled in Chocachatti and Challenger will be based on the lottery procedure while 30 percent will be chosen through portfolios.

For Nature Coast, 60 percent of admissions will be based on students who have entered into a lottery. Portfolios are no longer required. The remaining 40 percent would be chosen from those living in proximity to the school who submit an application and go through an interview process. Parents can learn if they live within that zone during the 6 p.m. Nov. 8 and 14 meetings at the school.

Applications and portfolios are due Dec. 19-21.

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Trending Now